Multifaceted solution developed to support growth and eliminate complexity from packaging processes
One of the world’s leading medical technology companies operates 30 manufacturing sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. This highly innovative organization experienced years of continuous sales growth.
As a result, they were working with hundreds of millions of units and thousands of SKUs of direct packaging materials. A number of packaging challenges inevitably emerged:
- Multiple suppliers created complexities for direct packaging materials
- Local supplier performance proved inconsistent
- Quality assurance was fragmented
- Direct packaging material stocks were difficult to replenish
RRD developed a solution that eliminated the complexity of the company’s packaging processes, which was initiated by taking on the role of global supplier for all IFUs, cartons, and labels and providing material storage and quick stock replenishment.
RRD also created a global account team to oversee sales and quality assurance. Additional elements of this multifaceted solution included:
- Customer service, production, and delivery order management via new in-region account teams
- Assurance that all sites involved meet cGMP compliance
- Consistent quality standards across all RRD sites
- Automation processes and online tools to efficiently manage proprietary customer content
By working with RRD, this medtech company was ideally positioned to move from a regionalized supply base to a global strategic partnership for direct packaging materials. This move enabled the company to harmonize specifications, materials, and manufacturing across different regions, which resulted in significantly reduced packaging spend.