A study in success: Providing on-site health screening event support
A global health service provider hosts health screening events on employer campuses and are staffed by a registered nurse and a physician assistant. The volume of these on-site health screening events is growing and this increase goes beyond what an insurance company could support. Over 50% of events occur within a three month window creating pressures for seasonal demand.
In advance of an on-site screening event, the company is required to have medical screening devices and kits that may contain as many as 120 different items. Quantities vary for each event, based on the number of participants and medical staff.
Functionality testing of medical screening devices is required prior to and after each event. Device functionality is essential for accurate data for the insurance company. The contents of the kits range from office supplies to items requiring cold-room storage.
This provider was looking for a solution that would manage inventory, build kits per EDI orders, process returns, ensure technical functionality and manage logistics for 5,500 or more events per year.
RRD’s design team analyzed the existing supply chain and developed a comprehensive solution. A demand-driven, product completion and reverse logistics model was implemented to address each challenge. In addition to seasonal staffing solutions, the solution also included:
- Material resource planning to forecast future demand
- Fulfillment of all products based on each unique event
- Track and trace of valuable devices and consumables
- Product testing on inbound and outbound equipment
- Quality audits to ensure standards are exceeded
- Inventory management with real-time web based access
- Ability to upscale production capacity with increasing kit costs
At the conclusion of each event, RRD managed the return of unused materials and equipment; the hardware is tested and non-consumable items are restocked for future event orders.
By drawing on RRD’s supply chain expertise, the customer was able to fully utilize capital resources in the areas of sales and customer service. The customer also achieved:
- Consolidation of forward and reverse activities
- Flexibility for seasonal demand
- Full track and traceability
- Reduced total supply chain cost
- Ability to scale upwards and support future growth of on–site programs
- Improved customer service